Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Carolyn- Philly Trip

Heading into our trip, Ming and I planned to hit three or four major points of interest in Philadelphia. After being dropped off at City Hall, we planned on exploring the area a bit and then working our way up to the Reading Terminal Market. At the market, we hoped to interact with different people and maybe get some lunch at a small café or cheese steak place there. Then, we planned on crossing over into Chinatown and again talking with locals and traveling around the town. After Chinatown, Ming and I were going to walk down 5th street in hopes to see the Liberty Bell. Depending on our time situation, we were going to either walk or take a bus down to the Vietnam memorial and explore that area if there was any time left over.
In actuality, Ming and I ended up going off course and as a result, we saw some interesting people and sights. To kick off our trip on a rainy and miserable day, we got lost. After talking to a local man on a bike, we got redirected and ended up passing City Hall again. After walking a couple of blocks, we noticed the Reading Terminal Market, which thankfully turned out to be indoors. I couldn’t help but smile as I walked through the doors because the smells and sights were familiar and welcoming. I saw little stands everywhere accompanied with stools and lots of food. I was overwhelmed by all the different types of food and cultures represented in such a small area. After buying a chocolate chip muffin for two dollars, Ming and I headed off in search for China Town and the Chinese Friendship Gate. Chinatown was small yet busy and full of life. We not only went to a traditional Chinese gift shop, but we also went to a Chinese bakery where I was hit with a distinct and strong scent of bread, rolls, and dessert tarts. After Chinatown, Ming and I decided to explore Liberty Bell and the general historical area. After waiting in a line for about 10 minutes behind a particularly unfriendly American woman, we finally got to see a museum dedicated to the Liberty Bell. Seeing the liberty bell was exciting, but for some reason I always pictured it to be gigantic in size. Afterwards, we ate in a food court and then proceeded to explore historical Philadelphia. It was rather nice to see Washington Square and statues dedicated to men who died in wars that shaped the way our country is today. We also heard from other travelers that South Street would be an interesting place to see, so we heading off in that direction and only had to stop for directions twice. Although the walk was longer than I expected, it was worth it. I got to see an area of Philly where people live. On our way to South Street, we noticed an eye sore which turned out to be the highlight of my trip. Philadelphia’s Magic Garden mesmerized me and forced me to take a closer look. The garden was actually mosaic art filled with ordinary objects that were turned into something dazzling. We met Isaiah Zagar, who started the Gardens in 1968. He was openly friendly and fun to talk to. The rest of South Street reminded me of something that I might find in New York City. The street was very urban and very busy. At the end of South Street was Penn’s Landing, which was beautiful. Real ships were restaurants, and a hotel was even formed in the shape of a boat. After walking along the water, Ming and I crossed the street to the Vietnam Memorial, where our trip ended. I got back on the bus and was able to rest my tired feet from walking all day.

No comments: